- Add the basil leaves, parmesan cheese, minced garlic, lemon zest, pine nuts, lemon juice and, if using, red pepper flakes to a blender or food processor.
- Blend continuously until the ingredients start to breakdown. If you prefer a more coarse pesto, use the pulse setting.
- Stream in the olive oil and allow the ingredients to emulsify with the oil.
- You want to continue processing until the oil is combined with the basil and your other ingredients. Taste the pesto, add additional garlic or parmesan to preference.
- 3 cups fresh basil microgreens
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (freshly grated is best)
- 2 tsp. (2 cloves) minced garlic
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- OPTIONAL: pinch of red pepper flakes
Store the pesto in a small container (where the pesto fits all the way to the top and press to reduce air pockets. Homemade pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
You can also pour the pesto into ice cube trays and freeze. Remember to transfer the frozen pesto to a zip top bag once frozen.